Long weekends are like an oasis. After the New Year festivities, celebrations hit a low and its back
to office and routines for most people.But as travelers we are always seeing the next big break and the Republic Day long weekend is exactly that! This city of Mumbai and our country offers us plenty to do, as per our interests and as per things that set us on fire.
Here’s a list to choose from:
5. Know your city: Its fantastic when you start seeing your city from a tourists eye. You marvel at the same building that you pass regularly on your way to work, and seek more information about their history and the legends behind their names. A heritage walk around Fort is a great way to kickstart knowing our glorious city. A walk around the lanes near Kotachi Wadi and its Portuguese architecture in Charni Road, a themed walk revolved around the markets of Mumbai like Zaveri Bazaar, Dadar flower market and Chor Bazaar can also be pursued. Other iconic sites
of the city like the Dhobi Ghaat or the Banganga Tank are often ignored by us but perhaps its time to give in. Discover your city and get lost in its lanes, nooks and crannies. If you need something more organized try Raconteur Walks or other walking tour companies that ply regular tours to help you explore Mumbai.
4. Shopaholics Anonymous: Its that time of the year when most of the top retailers give out endless discounts. Think of your favourite brands, 30% off, 40% off and 50% off too. So if you are looking at redoing your wardrobe or trumping up your style, GO for it! You might have to brave the crowds thronging the malls n the weekends, but a price offs will be well worth it. Some retail therapy could do you good!
3. Foodgasm: Bored of the food at home? Why don’t you design a DIY Street Food Tour in the city Mumbai. Pick your cuisine and get started. Wear comfortable shoes and get set for your own little food adventure. For Mughlai, hit the streets of Mohammad Ali Road or head to the open burners of Bademiya behind the Taj at Gateway, for quintessential Mumbai street food head straight for the Khau gullies of Ghatkopar or the beaches of Juhu. The South Indian at Matunga is great, filter coffee and steaming plates of idlis and delicious sambhar for company. If you don’t want to wing it alone then try the folks at Reality tours and travels or Pet Pujari’s.
2. Music in the Great Outdoors: There are weekend getaways and then there is Music in the Great Outdoors. A chance to catch an indie band from the city, listen to them live and exclusive in the great outdoors. Camping, bonfires, sweater weather, great conversations, fairy lights with the stars high above you is the ambiance set for this trip while acoustic music wafts in the air and mesmerizes the night. Something you’d remember for a long long time. The Blueberry Trails is hosting its 5th edition in Kolad on the weekend of 24-25th January. Here are more details CLICK HERE
1. Hot Getaways: this month include Rann of Kutch, Jaipur Literature Fest, Hampi and National Parks. Club an extra day off on Tuesday and you have yourself the escape time starting from Friday night and ending on Wednesday morning makes it 4days 3 nights and 5 days 4 nights if you leave on Friday night and get back by Tuesday morning. Make the most of time you’ve got!
A] Rann Utsav is currently taking place at the Rann of Kutch. It’s an overnight train ride away from Mumbai and a colourful way to spend the weekend. Explore the city of Bhuj, go for a boat ride near the shipbuilding yards of Mandvi and shopping in the handloom villages of Bhirandariya. Soak in the beauty of an evening spent in the Rann of Kutch.
B] Jaipur Literature Festival – Where you can hobnob with your favorite authors, do a bit of celebrity spotting, get your books autographed and attend interesting panel discussions. It literature is what floats your boat, this is the place to be!
C] Hampi- It’s a great time to go to Hampi. The sun is kind and the weather is wonderful. Since most of the local sites are open, the sun needs to be on your side for most of the exploration making January ideal.
D] National Park – Parks like Pench and Kanha offer some luxurious stay options, a true blue jungle experience, safaris unto the forest early in the morning or late afternoons. The colors of the forest at that time , will well worth be your time.
So get planing, cracking and booking. If you do end up doing one of the above write back and let me know how it went! Until then, Keep Wandering!